There is a Fire in the building or on campus, what should I do?
What to do:
- Activate the nearest fire alarm.
- Call 911.
- Notify occupants and help those in the immediate area who may need assistance.
- If the fire is small and you have the training, use a proper fire extinguisher to combat the fire.
- Do not endanger yourself or others by trying to extinguish a large, well-developed fire.
- Evacuate the building by the nearest exit.
- Confine the fire by closing, but not locking, as many doors as possible behind you as you exit.
- Do not re-enter the building until permitted to do so by emergency personnel.
- If you are above the ground floor and fire or smoke has restricted the exit routes: remain in the room; place something at the base of the door to prevent the entrance of smoke; call 911 and let them know your location.
- Evacuation is mandatory when a fire alarm has been activated.
- Do not use elevators.
- Take personal belongings, such as keys, wallets and purses.
- Close doors as you exit.
- Move people to a safe area away from the building.